I was skeptical about tofu scramble at first, but my mind changed when I actually tried making it for the first time. Now it has become my go to breakfast whenever I have a bunch of leftover veggies I need to use up. This is my very simple version of it.
You can add any leftover vegetables into this tofu scramble, the more the better. Bell peppers, squash, eggplant, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes are my favorite veggies to use in this recipe.
They key is to get the flavor right, so don’t overdo the turmeric. It adds a really nice yellow color to the tofu, but it also adds a lot flavor. Make sure you have it balanced with some salt or soy sauce.
And if you really want this to taste like eggs, you’re in for a treat. It can be found in almost any oriental store, so it is not hard to get your hands on. The spice I’m talking about is black salt. There are other black salts that are not edible, such as black lava salt, and black ritual salt. You want to get the Indian black salt Kala namak, which is used in cooking.
It has a distinctive taste due to the sulfur. It’s basically salt mined from volcanic areas and it tastes like hard-boiled egg yolks. It has a savory, umami taste and is often used in egg-free dishes to give them a egg-like flavor. If you want to read more about this I recommend reading this article, which explains it in detail.
I hope you enjoy this simple tofu scramble recipe!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @easyveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #easyveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Spinach Tofu Scramble
- 1 block tofu
- 250 grams washed spinach
- 150 grams mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp black salt (for the hard boiled egg taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- bell peppers
- vegan cheese (optional)
- Start by cutting the onion and the mushrooms.
- Heat up a pan on medium to high heat with some vegetable oil. Then add the onions and cook until translucent, then add the mushrooms.
- Crumble the block of tofu on to the pan with your hands, mix it with the vegetables and then add all the spices. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the spinach to the pan. Cover the pan and let cook until the it shrinks in size. Then mix it all in with the tofu.
- Add the cheese if using, let it melt and then serve.