I had a huge craving for paella the other day and I’ve been wanting to try to make it at home myself. So I went out and got some paella rice and made this delicious and fresh paella with smoked tofu.
This took me back to my last trip to Spain where I tried paella for the first time. Most of the restaurants serve it with shrimp or some other type of seafood, but you can always ask them to make it without and ask for extra veggies instead.
Adding in the slightly crispy tofu adds a lot of texture and taste to this dish, making this a filling meal as well. Perfect for leftovers for the next day.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @easyveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #easyveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Smoked Tofu Paella
- 300 grams extra firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 200 grams paella rice, uncooked
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1,2 litres veggie stock*
- 150 grams frozen peas
- juice of half a lemon
- a bunch of finely chopped fresh parsley
- Toss the tofu cubes with soy sauce and liquid smoke. Start by browning the tofu on medium high heat. Ready when golden brown on each side. Set aside for later use.
- Cook the onions for 5 minutes on medium heat, then add in the garlic and the bell peppers. Cook for 2 min.
- Add in the smoked paprika, turmeric, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix everything in. Then add in the uncooked paella rice and the tomato puree. Fry for 3 minutes.
- Add in the veggie stock and mix everything. Let simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes for the rice to cook.**
- Stir everything and add in cooked tofu, frozen peas, lemon juice and the parsley. Mix everything well and serve right after.
- Serve with lemon wedges and fresh parsley on the top.