I was craving some fried nuggets the other day and I started experimenting with ‘chickwheat‘, which resulted in these super tasty seitan nuggets.
This recipe requires some pre-work, but the work will pay off! I used chickwheat shreds in this recipe, and if you don’t know what that is then head on to this link as I currently have not made my own recipe for chickwheat. It’s basically a recipe for seitan shreds, which closely mimic the texture of chicken shreds. I usually make a big batch and keep it in my freezer. You can use these in soups, salads and stir frys.
Now, let’s get on to the recipe!
These nuggets are
- freezer friendly
- great with a good dipping sauce
I made a pretty big batch of those, storing them in the freezer for later use.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a comment below, share it, rate it or tag a picture @easyveganblog on Instagram and hashtag it #easyveganblog. We’d love to see what you cook!
Crispy Seitan Nuggets
- food processor
- 400 grams chickwheat chunks
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 75 grams flour
- 30 grams corn starch
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 flax egg
- cold water
- 250 grams breadcrumbs
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and run it until you get a nice mince. Set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix everything well. Slowly pour over some cold water and mix until a smooth batter starts to form. It shouldn't be too thick but not thin either. Add in the flax egg and mix.
Forming the nuggets
- Use a tablespoon to scoop up a portion of the seitan mince and start pressing them into square shape in your hands. The cornstarch helps them bind and hold together.
- After you have formed the nuggets into shape it's time to dip them in batter.
- Have the batter ready and pour some breadcrumbs (not all at once) over onto a plate.
- Start by first dipping the nuggets into the batter and then toss it in breadcrumbs until everything is covered.
Frying the nuggets
- Heat up frying oil to medium high heat and fry the nuggets until golden brown on each side. Serve right after.